Tuesday, July 26, 2022

THE UNPLANNED 7-DAY HOLIDAY


17th JULY 2022 ~ It all started with the sore throat which I thought was the common tonsilitis. I went to get treatment at a private clinic was not allowed to see a doctor as I was symptomatic. I had to do a nasal swab test [which cost RM70] at the clinic before 10:00 p.m. and I was there like half an hour after that. I did my self saliva RTK test in the morning actually and the result was negative.

18th JULY 2022 ~ I was back at the clinic as early as 8:00 a.m. for the swab test, hoping to get some medicines for my sore throat and perhaps a sick leave. Unfortunately, the double lines appeared on the test before my very eyes. I was officially confirmed a COVID-19 patient.

I had to think quickly of a solution as doing home quarantine might get other people at home infected. I contacted two ex-students, a doctor and a manager of a hotel cafe, asking if there was any hotel quarantine service still available. In no time, I got the name of the hotel and even a direct contact number of the staff in-charge of the special hotel room. I successfully checked in at Millisime Hotel in Bukit Indah by 3:00 p.m.










I slept very early that evening because of the fever and there were pills provided by the doctor that I had taken, but I woke up in the middle of the night and was not able to continue sleeping until the break of dawn.

the first dinner/meal


19th JULY ~ My sore throat got worse by the minute as if it was wounded. Swallowing food was almost impossible and even drinking water was very painful. I had to request for porridge for all my three meals but could not eat them actually.


Before 10:00 a.m., a medical staff came knocking to do the health screen. She took the body temperature, blood pressure and the body oxygen level. You could request for medicines if necessary but that would be charged later in your hotel bill. The health check up was something that happened daily at about the same time.




I was fortunate as there were kind souls who took the extra mile to get some food and drinks delivered to the hotel.

I slept most of the time during the day, but because of that I couldn't sleep a wink at night even though I forced myself to close my eyes throughout the hours.

20th JULY 2022 ~ By this time, my fever had gone and my throat was getting slightly better but I was still on soft food. I did nothing much except watching TV all day and night long. I didn't even bring my laptop as I was in a hurry [it was left in school] and I should count that as a blessing.

21st JULY 2022 ~ I did my second swab test but I was still positive. Therefore, I had to continue my confinement period. I started to develop cough on the fourth day, and sometimes I woke up in the middle of the night when the cough got bad.

coconut water + lemon slices in the tumbler

22nd - 23rd JULY ~ I was just having intermittent coughs now and just spent my time doing nothing except to laze around.


The food delivered to the room did not really cater to a patient's diet. Sometimes I felt like the food was bought from a Mamak restaurant. Someone who is healthy and fussy might make a big fuss but I just gobbled down everything.


24th JULY ~ The quarantine period was completed on the seventh day and it was time to bid Millisime Hotel good bye. I left the room healthier but still coughing a bit intermittently. Overall, it was an experience which I should never forget, to be cut out physically from the outside world. Surprisingly, I didn't feel stressed which could confirm my introvert personality.

Thanks everyone for all the get well prayers. And to my friends who were generous to send the food items and medicines, only Allah may repay your kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment