Wednesday, December 11, 2013

WELCOME TO PALMERSTON NORTH, NEW ZEALAND

26TH NOVEMBER ~ I bet many of you do not even know the existence of the city Palmerston North in New Zealand. It is definitely not one of the must-visit spots for tourists so I would not be surprised if you haven't heard of it before. The reason I was here is because I was visiting an ex-classmate who is now residing and teaching at Massey University and I am always eager to see new places even though they might not be highlighted in any travel books or blogs.


I arrived in Palmerston North on the 25th November but by the time the plane landed it was already too late and I was actually quite tired. So Puan Radiah Othman took me to the city the very next day, and unfortunately, it was cloudy with intermittent drizzle. We were at the city centre quite early and I must be the only tourist around at that moment. The museum was not opened yet so we just walked around the place.


Look at the picture and almost no one could be seen walking. The shops were not opened yet and everything seemed to be moving very slowly. There must be no stress here - no traffic jam, no vehicles blaring their horns and very little pollution I supposed. It looked more like a small town to me but try and read about the city in Wikipedia, then only you will understand why it is actually a city.













a halal eating outlet
 



























By the way, this is potuhukawa tree, also known as the Christmas tree in New Zealand because the tree bears the crimson flowers in summer when the locals are celebrating Christmas. This is actually one of the national symbols of the country.

As there was nothing else to do and it was still raining, we decided to visit the city library while waiting for the museum to start operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment