Tuesday, December 24, 2013

WALKING THE STREETS OF WET AND WINDY WELLINGTON

I arrived in Wellington at 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday, 27th November after taking the Nakedbus from Palmerston North which took about 2 1/2 hours and I had to pay only NZ$1 for that bus trip. I had to find my way to the accommodation but I was not worried as I was already told the direction clearly from the place the bus stopped to the hostel in an e-mail from the staff. At the same time, I read somewhere that New Zealand is the safest place for a woman to travel alone - so being a man, there was nothing to worry about.


The next morning, on the 28th November, when I was getting my bagel and coffee for breakfast, I saw this notice of a FREE walking tour organized by the hostel and by 10:30 a.m. I was already shaking hand with the group tour guide, Joe (if I am not mistaken) with the other 12 tourists. Unfortunately, it was raining outside but that did not dampen our spirit to get to know the city better. Everybody was equipped with either a jacket or a windbreaker but never use an umbrella (or a wig) in Wellington unless you want to see it blown away by the strong wind.






Basically, we just walked and walked and stopped at certain spots when our guide had to tell us some stories related to the places. Despite the rain, the tour still went on as planned except for the last route, we did not use the harbour front as the rain was getting heavier and the wind stronger. 















I spotted Malaysian restaurants along the way.
The whole walking tour took about 2 hours and by the end of trip, I was quite confident that I could find my way around the city when I started exploring on my own the next day. When you go on a holiday, always pray for a bright and sunny day. Even if you could walk in the rain, the pictures would not turn out beautiful. Anyway, Wellington had a splendid weather the next day so be prepared to see he pictures of beautiful Wellington under the sun. 

RELATED LINKS:
Te Papa Tongarewa Museum
Sunny Wellington PART 1 and PART 2
The Parliament House
Wellington Cable Car
Cable Car Museum
Wellington Botanic Garden
The Flowers of Botanic Garden 
Lady Norfolk Rose Garden
Museum of Wellington City and Sea
Victoria University of Wellington 
Cuba Street 
YHA Wellington 
Wellington International Airport 

No comments:

Post a Comment