Monday, September 2, 2019

PNH 101 - INTRODUCTION TO PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA

I made another trip back to Cambodia during the mid term school break on 13th-16th August 2019, and I embarked on this adventure solo (as usual). The first time in Cambodia was three years ago when I visited Siem Reap which was famous for its Angkor Wat. [READ HERE] This time however I was about to explore its capital city, Phnom Penh. I initially told myself I should not expect much but being able to travel again to another country would already make me happy. After doing some research on the Internet, mostly by reading travel blogs, Phnom Penh should be a safe place for people to travel solo.
Geographically speaking, Phnom Penh is situated where two important rivers in Indochina meet - the Tonle Sap and Mekong. The country and the city has a very sad and gleamed history and it is still on its way in rebuilding its economy. I could see constructions of high rise building was in progress when I was there. At the same time, I could also observe people of the low income group working hard on the streets day and night. I felt safe there, and I could walk from one point to the other in the city at night without feeling worried. Another thing, unlike other Indochina countries, I did not come across the red light district, or women on the streets offering sex service or any lady boys.
The currency used is Riel. However, the locals would be happy if business transaction is done using the USD. From the museum entrance tickets to the street vendor selling coconut water by the roadside, USD is widely accepted - and they expect tourists to use USD instead of Riel. You could still use your Riel but you would have to tell you are paying in their currency, and this should be cheaper actually. It was quite difficult to get Cambodian Riel from money changers at home and I only managed to change at CIMB counters at KLIA2. The rate was like USD1 = 4000 Riel, and for my convenience I always bear in my mind Riel 10 000 = RM10 to make my life easier.
As for my transportation in Phnom Penh, I should personally thank whoever created Grab service as it has made my life so much easier, especially when I am traveling. Instead of just having a grab car service, there are also other options like Grab Bike (motorcycle), Grab Tuktuk and the other one which I already forgot the name, a coach which is pulled by a motorcycle. I was happily touring the city with the help of my Grab apps so I was never worried to be scammed by the riders.
What about halal food in Phnom Penh? I am so used to travel with instant noodles, instant rice and cream buns packed from home, finding halal food is never an issue for me. My classic answer will be: you can google for the information. However, most of the restaurants which offer halal food are Indian restaurants. There should be halal food outlets somewhere in the city, especially around the mosque area but I did not go hunting for Cambodian authentic dishes. I tried its local food twice, one for breakfast and the other one for dinner. If you are unlucky, you would have to eat at a restaurant whose owner would mark up the prices for Muslim tourists.
Basically, I had a great time in Phnom Penh. I never compare places I have visited as they are all unique in their own way. If you think you want to widen your horizon, especially on Cambodia which was once a war-torn country and its people, just pack your back and go. And it should be a safe for a solo traveler. I am happy I could say it loud: been there, done that. And it is already time to plan for another trip for the near school break. Just hope I could finish my travelogue posts on my trip to Cambodia by then.


RELATED LINKS OF MY PHNOM PENH VISIT:
The Shuttle Train Service from the Airport to the City
The National Museum of Cambodia [The Building] [The Exhibition]

Cats Cafe [Part 1] [Part 2]
The Royal Palace of Cambodia [Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3]
The Royal Park Outside the Palace
The Night Market
The Central Market
Having Flat Bread and Milk Tea
Choeung Ek, The Killing Field [Part 1] [Part 2]
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum [Part 1] [Part 2]
Kandal Market in the Morning [Part 1] [Part 2]
Traditional Dance Show at the Museum
Walking Along Sisowath Quay [Part 1] [Part 2]

Cambodia-Vietnam Friendship Monument
Artisan Angkor Souvenir Shop
The Phnom Penh Heritage Tour

The National Library of Cambodia
Friends Restaurant
The Cambodia Post Office
The Royal University of Fine Arts
Mekong River Cruise [Part 1] [Part 2]
Royal Cambodia Train Station
Rachana Hostel
Phnom Penh International Airport

No comments:

Post a Comment