Sunday, February 23, 2020

AN ALUMNUS VISITING HIS ALMA MATER


 22nd FEBRUARY 2020 ~ I was in Muar for three days because of the state level chess competition. I got to know another game was also being held at Sekolah Menengah Sains Muar and this should be the best opportunity to go back to my alma mater which I had left many years ago. Visitors were free to go in and out of the school compound during the softball tournament or else they would have been stopped by the security guard at the main gate.


I attended SMS Muar from 1996 to 1996. This was (and still is) a boarding school where everybody stayed in dormitories. My expectation was too high, hoping there would be midnight parties and people playing pranks on the teachers and a lot of adventures but there was none. NONE! Everybody seemed to be too busy burying their heads in their books and homework all the time. I must have read too much of Enid Blyton's boarding school story books before.















It was only a short visit as my friends and I could not stay long. We needed to be at the venue of the chess competition before the final round ended.




Standing in front of the hall opposite the block which housed the two classrooms where I was once seated in, I could feel memories of the past came flooding back. Honestly speaking, I did not have the fondest memories of the place but still two years spent there would have made some impact on my life. And I am thankful to have great classmates in Budiman class and I think I am missing them more now than before.


"Memories can hang you up and haunt you
All your life, you know
Guess so you cannot stay
And yet cannot go"
"Memories" sung by Whitney Houston

No comments:

Post a Comment