Monday, March 17, 2014

THE FIRST TIME WINNING A CONTEST IN MY LIFE

Have you ever taken part in contests before? Remember the time when you have to attach together proof of purchase with the entry form and/or write a slogan? Or perhaps trying your luck in a crossword puzzle contest or even a colouring contest organized by children's magazines when you were much younger? I must confess I have tried numerous times and sadly speaking, have never won any

However, last week, I FINALLY won a prize in an online contest. I am a member of this group "Johor English Teachers" in one my Facebook accounts and Puan Rohani Ariffin was kind enough to sponsor the prizes for the Contest #3 which she initiated. (I took part in the first one and did not win). I won as I had 4 LIKES from members who had read my very short paragraph. :)

The prizes arrived in school today and I was excited to no end. Thanks Puan Rohani for the prizes and I will treasure them.





THE TASK: 
Below is a very short story by Augusto Monterosso, a Guatemalan short story writer. You may not believe it and think it is just a sentence. But it actually IS a complete very short story called "El Dinosaurio".

"When I woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Your task is to include this story in YOUR OWN story. It can appear in the beginning, the middle, or as and ending of your 'story' in not more than 100 words.

And here is my winning entry:

I always wanted a present, something expensive. I was expecting a Samsung Note. I had done well in school. In fact, I had topped the other students in my class. I ran back home, clutching my report card in my right hand. I knew I deserved to be awarded for all my effort. My father smiled and promised to bring home the present. The next day, I almost fainted when I saw what my father got for me - it was Barnie. I ran to my room and cried my heart out. When I woke up, the dinosaur was still there. [100 words]

I must say the most difficult part was to make sure the writing did not exceed 100 words and the continuous counting of words before publishing it a few minutes before the time stated. I wish I had drawn columns like I used to teach my students when writing a summary.

Anyway, contest #4 is already publicized and that is one challenging task to complete. Perhaps, I should wait until the last minute for the creative juices to start flowing freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment