Wednesday, June 15, 2016

WALKING TOUR IN TAIPEI - 228 PEACE PARK

29TH MAY 2016 ~ I decided to join the free Walking Tour in Taipei after I found out about on the internet and did the online registration. In the e-mail, the participants were told to meet up with the guides at Exit 4 of NTU MRT Station at 2:00 p.m. I was there on time after visiting the National Palace Museum.

Eden in action
We had two young English-speaking guides, Eden and Tracey, who speak good English. There were six people from all over the world. I could remember the lady from Vietnam but is now staying in San Diego and another Pakistani man who also happens to reside in the same city. Then there was this girl whose parents are Indonesian and Dutch - if I am not mistaken (because I was just eavesdropping). I couldn't really remember the origins of the two other men in the group.


The building in the background is National Taiwan Museum. The museum is in a compound of a park, or it could be the other way around. I thought I could drop by the day after but I did not have enough time to do so.


The tour is called "the Old City Tour" (or something like that) as we would see the old part of Taipei and at the same time, learned a bit the history of Taiwan. We started our history lesson at this place called "228 Peace Park". 228 is actually a significant date in the history of Taiwan - 28th February. It had to do with the time when people were unhappy with the government and the anti-government movement started.





















There was this Massacre Monument in the park which has its own story related to the unity of the people of Taiwan. Definitely too theoretical and philosophical for me, that was why I could not remember much.

















the first group selfie




TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment