Friday, July 27, 2012

WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO

In the evening of the fourth day, Mr. Solleh took me on a tour around the campus of the University of Toronto. Founded in 1827, the university has quite a number of old and Gothic-designed structures which project the antique but sturdy facade.

One similar thing that I can see from the campuses of the universities abroad, such as in Canada, Australia and the UK, the area is not confined to any fences and gates where people are free to walk in and out any time of the day. The faculty buildings do nor necessarily have to be located in the main campus area - they can be found everywhere, even in the city centre. However, they have good security to get access into the premises where one has to use his/her smart card and the building must be equipped with CCTV cameras I suppose.

I wonder, if I were to be sent to study in Canada many years back, would I be sent here? From my reading, I found that the University of Toronto is not only ranked among the first top 25 universities in the world, but is also well-known for its literary criticism and communication theory. Other achievements include (too technical for me to rephrase) "... the birthplace of insulin and stem cell research, and was the site of the first practical electron microscope, the development of multi-touch technology, the identification of Cygnus X-1 as a black hole, and the theory of NP completeness." (from Wikipedia)

And that wrapped up my educational trip abroad this time and like what Woody Allen once said, "I've never been an intellectual but I have this look".

No comments:

Post a Comment