Monday, December 16, 2013

THE ROSE AND CAMELLIA GARDENS OF PALMERSTON NORTH


"But he who dares not grasp a thorn
Should never crave the rose."

~ Anne Bronte ~

26th November ~ After lunch, the sky cleared up a bit so we made our way to Dugald MacKenzie Rose Garden. Other than roses, there were also camellias in the garden but they looked almost the same. Most probably, camellias have longer stigmas if compared to roses. Can somebody please tell me what is actually the difference between these two flowers?


So what could you find in a rose garden? Green grass, beds of flowers, a few benches, wild ducks, a pond and a fountain in the middle. However, I would just love to stay at this place for hours just to stare from afar at the flowers and the beautiful myriads of colours created by the petals.









When I was here, what I did was just walking from one bed of roses to another, observing the beauty and getting myself intoxicated by the sweet smell of the flowers. The roses were really big, much bigger than what we have in Malaysia. I guess it could be the combination of New Zealand weather and its fertile soil.












































This was not the only rose garden I visited when I was in New Zealand. I went to other gardens in Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown and I never grew tired of what I saw.

NEXT: close up view of the flowers in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment