Monday, November 6, 2023

THE ENGAGEMENT CEREMONY OF A FRIEND'S SON IN PASIR GUDANG


    4th SEPTEMBER 2023     ~ Puan Suriana Ali and her other family members were in town, all the way from Kuantan, for the engagement ceremony of her son at Taman Bukit Dahlia in Pasir Gudang. In a Malay community, it is a tradition for the family of the groom-to-be to pay a visit to the house of the bride-to-be to ask the hands of marriage from the family.


When my friend of UPM TESL Class of 1993 invited me to join her company of relatives from Kuantan, I agreed and even bought a new kurta of the same colour worn by her family members.


This was something I rarely did actually. All this while, it had been attending wedding receptions but not an engagement ceremony where I had to observe the event from the beginning until the end.



There was a short introduction session where the representatives from both sides exchanged "Pantun" [the Malay rhyming verses] before the mother-in-law to be put the ring on the finger of her daughter-in-law to be. Eventually, the couple was officially engaged.




























The engagement ceremony looked more like a mini wedding reception and I was impressed with the spread of food served on the buffet tables.






















Thank you Puan Suriana Ali and family for kindly asking me to be there at the beautiful ceremony. Hopefully, I will be invited to the grander event that should take place next year, either in Johor Bahru or Kuantan, or both places.

No comments:

Post a Comment