Friday, November 12, 2010

ENJOYING THE DEEPAVALI TITBITS

So when Deepavali came, I would get to enjoy the Indian specialty, i.e. none other than muruku. Being in a multiracial society, muruku is no longer the food only for the Indians. The crunchy and crispy sounds of muruku munching is something addictive. However, the muruku that I always eat for Hari Raya is always more spicy and hotter. The ones given by my Indian students taste sweeter but crunchier and creamier at the same time. I wonder if the creamy taste comes from the coconut milk or just milk added to it. Another type of titbits that I got was the kuih goyang (translate: shake cookies). The name derives from the way it is produced. You have to shake the ingredients of flour, eggs and sugar that stick to its metal mould with the shape of a flower in hot boiling oil so that the whole thing will drop after some time. It is very common in the Malay society which made me wonder whether this traditional recipe originated from India after all.

Thanks to Dineshwar, Dinesh and Anita, and also another form boy whose name I have forgotten, for the special Deepavali delivery.

2 comments: