Thursday, October 26, 2017

FORT ROTTERDAM - MY FIRST HISTORY LESSON OF MAKASSAR


13th OCTOBER 2017 ~ My first real life history lesson of Makassar started at Fort Roterdam - a fortress originally built by Makassar rulers to defend the land from the Dutch East India Company back in 1634.










The buildings here looked well-kept and the paint was quite new. All the buildings here were erected by the Dutch except the single story one was built by Japanese during their occupation.




I even hired a tour guide called Yasin, a student from one of the universities here who is studying English as his major. He insisted to speak English as he felt I could understand him better than using Indonesian language. I paid him 100 000 Rupiah for the tour in the fort.


The fort was the shape of a turtle - with the head of the turtle facing the sea.









a chimney




a real secret tunnel














with Yasin, the tour guide






The architecture made me feel as if I was in the Netherlands. There was also a museum here which I decided to visit to complement my short stay in the fort.

No comments:

Post a Comment