Wednesday, November 29, 2017

SMKTUN's ANGKLUNG GROUP PERFORMING FOR ISKARNIVAL KOOL 2017


26th NOVEMBER 2017 ~ The Angklung Group of SMK Taman Universiti was invited to perform in Iskarnival Kool 2017 which was held at Puteri Harbour, Kota Iskandar. This should be the biggest event where we had the chance to perform so far and everybody was both excited and nervous.


I was contacted by Mr. Deric via Whatsapp a few months before and he discovered us from the videos I posted on Facebook. He first contacted me via Messenger for last year's event but I had not installed the apps yet. When Messenger was installed, I found his message, which was already too late but I still left my phone number. We were fortunate as Mr. Deric got back to me and we were already in the list of performers for the arts and culture event.


Unfortunately, the least predicted thing happened two weeks before the big day. I was warded as I was down with lung infection. I was quite sure I would be discharged after one week and that did not happen. The boys had to practice on their own for the last four meetings and there was not much I could do except get to know about their progress from my hospital bed. Nevertheless, I knew that they should have no problem performing as practice had been done starting from January this year.




























There were many people watching even though we were given a slot from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. To make thing worse, it rained before that time so everything was delayed. They were performing in an open area so there were some issues with the sound system. And the platform/stage was quite small but they adapted well to the situation. 


All in all, they had done a great job and I was there to watch them perform when I "ran away" from the hospital ward during the visiting hours that Sunday evening. That was one moment I became a bad boy but I was truly happy to get to be there with them.



the promo poster

the conspirators
Congratulations to the Angklung Group members for a job well done, but I feel there is still a lot of room for improvement. I hope this should open more doors for better opportunities to perform in other events in the future.

I need also to thank some people for all the help given when I was not around - Pn Intan Badariah, Mr. Masrizal, Mr. Haiqal Johari (the senior ex-angklung group member) and Mr. Aster Smith (the angklung member who could not perform but was there to help until the last day). 

Thanks also to Mr. Rashid Jamaluddin who had gone along with my plan for the short escape from the hospital that evening.

As for Mr. Deric, thank your for giving us the chance to play for this event, and really hope to see you again some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment