Monday, July 12, 2021

GUNUNG LEDANG EXPEDITION - 20 YEARS AGO



Gunung Ledang was revisited 5 years after my first hike. This time with a bigger crowd - 4 teachers and a busload of Scouts and Kadet Bomba [Fire Brigade Cadets] boys.


We stayed in rented cabins on the foot of the mountain managed by Gunung Ledang Resort. For one thing, we could leave all our things in the cabin when we went climbing. We arrived on the 7th April, and the climbing took place on the 8th, the very next day.












Another attraction of the expedition was the waterfalls and cascading rivers downstream. Spending endless hours in the streams actually was much more fun than climbing. 😀


We were accompanied by two forest rangers hired from the Resort.


The bitter part of the trekking was when I was left alone as everyone was too fast and too energetic. I was even in doubt of whether to continue climbing or just sat there at one spot, waiting for the rest to get back to the place on their way down. I just went up without a clue if I would be seeing them on top or not.















When I thought the ascending trip was bad, I did not expect getting down was worse. We had to go down the mountain in total darkness as we were behind plan and I think I just walked and walked, hoping that we would soon arrive at our cabin site - but that just didn't happen. One thing for sure, everyone got muddy and smelly once we finally reached the camp but it was such a big relief.




























I am glad I have real mountain climbing/trekking experience, twice, but that would be enough already. I don't want to harm myself or get other people in trouble to help me if something bad happen.

Both the Gunung Ledang trips would be something I would always treasure for a long time, even after 20 years.

3 comments:

  1. Kenangan yang tidak dapat dilupakan cikgu.

    Yang trip kita balik naik KTM tu ada cikgu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cikgu, kenangan yg indah.. thank you..

    ReplyDelete