Friday, July 30, 2021

A ONE-NIGHT CAMPING TRIP AT BATU LAYAR BEACH - 24 YEARS AGO


If I am not mistaken, this was the camping trip that was done in 1997, 24 years ago. It was a joint venture activity between Puteri Islam and Kadet Remaja Sekolah, two uniform units for co-curricular activities in SMK Taman Universiti. While Puteri Islam consisted of all girls members, KRS at that time was only opened for the boys.


It was a short trip of one night to Batu Layar Beach. The girls [or the teacher advisers] chose the accommodation at the chalets while the boys who wanted something more adventurous, opted for camping by the beach.


The activities: a lot of swimming [okay, not really swimming but enjoying all the time in the water] and spending time on the beach, climbing and exploring all the big rocks there and striking as many poses as possible. It was the time when digital camera was not yet in existence but amazingly there are quite a number of photos that are still preserved even though the quality has deteriorated.
















































It was only a short trip but I think the boys had enjoyed the time being away from home for once. Actually, I couldn't remember what did the girls do during the trip. We seemed to be separated from each other at the resort.


Unlike today, organizing school trips or any activities outside last time was much simpler so teachers could easily take the students out once in a while. I must say I used to be an outdoor-ish person so I tried to get my students out from school as I know they enjoyed all the excursions without the spying eyes of their parents. Unfortunately, this is almost impossible when one is assigned the post of an administrator and I sure miss the old life I had so much.


Those were the good old days. I had not slept in a tent for quite a long time. It would be nice to do that again, especially by the beach with friends. Perhaps it is high time to start planning when time permits i.e. MCO [lockdown] is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment