Monday, June 12, 2023

BRUNEI 101 - INTRODUCTION TO BRUNEI DARUSSALAM

This should be my very first trip abroad after the C-19 pandemic. The last time I went for a holiday to another country was in March 2020, a few days before our country declared the lockdown period when all the borders were closed. I had been in Brunei twice before, in 2009 and 2011 but that was just a touch-and-go kind of day trips from Miri.

But why Brunei again? I just needed to explore the country more this time like a real tourist. I got to choose a place that was not too far away so Brunei would be the best choice. Even though it was not a popular destination among Malaysians, I knew Bandar Seri Begawan had a lot to offer. 


For one thing, Brunei Dollar [BND] which is still used as Ringgit locally, is more expensive against Ringgit Malaysia. The best exchange rate I got in Bandar Seri Begawan was approximately BND290 for RM1000. The exchange rate was almost the same with Singapore Dollar so in a way, I would be spending more there. I was not worried though as I was not that the type who spent my money unnecessarily when going on holiday.


If you plan to visit places of interest in the city centre, they are located near to each other. If you intend to venture out of the city, getting a public transport could be a problem. If you want to take the public transport, perhaps you need to study the route and the schedule. I did not see any taxi in sight when I was there. There was no Grab service available but you could use the local DART e-hailing service. However, you need to register the apps using a Brunei phone number.

I guess that should be some sort of a brief introduction of my adventure in Brunei Darussalam. Do come back for more photo and story sharing session in the upcoming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment