Friday, May 29, 2020

THE DIARY OF A MALAYSIAN TRAVELLING HOME FROM ABROAD DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC - PART SEVEN



22nd MAY 2020 [QUARANTINE DAY 15] - It was the day we all had been waiting for - FREEDOM! We had to wait in our rooms until our turns arrived. Initially we were scheduled to be called at 12 noon and we were among the last to be discharged. We were already on standby as early as at 8:30 a.m. and we could hear the knocks on the doors of the neighbouring rooms as they were freed earlier. At 10.15 a.m. however there was a loud knock on my door and we were instructed to leave the rooms and assembled near the lift. That was like 3 hours earlier than the expected call and thank God we were ready and prepared.

Our bags and luggage were carried by the staff on a trolley. We were first sanitized - not only our hands but our shoes were also sprayed with sanitizer liquid as well as our luggage. At the lobby, the check out process was done and we were given the permit to go back home by the police. Everything was done smoothly and effectively and by 10.30 a.m. we were ready to go. It was too fast until I did not even have the chance to snap any photos for the blog during this session.

The initial plan was my son would come to pick us up at 1:30 p.m. As it was still very early, I decided to take one of the blue cabs which was already waiting outside. Fortunately the 7-seat taxi could accommodate the three of us and all our luggage. The procedure was easier for me as I did not have to do a cross-state travel and the staff on duty helped us to put all our things inside the taxi, and off we went.

By 11.00 a.m. I reached home and my sons we already waiting to help carry all the things. Alhamdulillah, praise be to Allah, it was a huge relief that everything was over and we were all safe and healthy. This should be a once in a lifetime experience for my daughters and I, and Eid which would be celebrated in just 2 days, was a significant one as I was now reunited with my other children at home finally.

For one thing, one had to be prepared to be quarantined, especially if there are small children or teenagers accompanying, as there would be no physical contact at all with other people. As for my daughters, I was sure they had become more independent and learned to manage their daily lives on their own during the 14-day stay in separate rooms. 

I must compliment the frontliners, those who were directly involved in managing us, for their hard work and dedication throughout. I pray that the COVID-19 pandemic will be over soon and we could go back living our normal lives. I hope this experience would be the first and the last one for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment