Wednesday, July 22, 2020

"NASI LEMAK ROYALE KEDAH" FOR THE AFTER SCHOOL GASTRONOMIC ADVENTURERS

There is this new restaurant in town: Nasi Lemak Royale Kedah. Colleagues (and an ex-colleague) of SMK Dato' Jaafar had already planned to visit this place last week when we were still in an eating place called Zainal's Place. There were less people for today's activity but we could not wait for everyone to agree to make it happen. We just wanted to eat. 😀


We were there at about 2:45 p.m. so people would already had had their lunch earlier, hence there were many empty seats. Visitors started to queue right at the entrance where the food counter was located and orders were made there by choosing the dishes on the shelves.





an ex-student of SMK Tmn Universiti,
Mr. Afiq [SPM batch 2002]





You could also order food ala carte if you do not wish to get the already cooked meals on the counter.




I thought I would eat Nasi Lemak and I ordered Nasi Lemak, but the food eaten was NOT Nasi Lemak. If you are looking for the usual traditional Malay dish-  rice cooked with aromatic coconut milk and its compulsory "sambal" (ground chilies), eggs and cucumber slices, then you would be disappointed real bad.


The definition of Nasi Lemak Royale Kedah was totally different from what I already have in my schemata. It was actually Nasi Kandar - yellow rice with variety of side dishes like chicken, meat, fish, eggs and a lot of curry.

the most expensive choice:
a large squid (but not mine)

My plate of (yellow) rice consisted of a piece of fried chicken and hard boiled egg [the very first pic]. I did not take the vegetables as I thought the dish would be complemented with cucumber slices. (I really thought I would be eating the real Nasi Lemak, remember?) The rice potion was actually quite small for me, I was already thinking of something else to eat after that. I think people were expected to get more side dishes to go with the rice, and too much rice is not good for health actually. That whole plate and a glass of iced water cost RM8.50 inclusive of tax. That should be a reasonable price when one ate in a place like this. It was still a big regret not to have any vegetables on my plate.












Nasi Kandar lovers have now a place to go to, and as for me, at least I know one spot. I don't mind going back here one day when I have a craving for good curry arises. I should thank all my adventurous friends for suggesting this place which I should add in into the list of places I could take other people for lunch.

Our field trip would be put on hold as most of the members will be going back to their hometowns for the Eid ul-Adha short break next week but we already have a few names of eating places to go for our next adventure.

Those who can, cycle/run.
Those who can't, eat.
😁

No comments:

Post a Comment