Friday, November 24, 2023

VISITING THE ICONIC UBUDIAH MOSQUE OF KUALA KANGSAR


26th AUGUST 2023 ~ All this while, I had been seeing this holy building most of the time in travel pamphlets, text books and stamps. When I got a wedding invitation in Kuala Kangsar, the Ubudiah Mosque was definitely in the must-visit spots. Lucky enough, my other [UPM TESL] friends were happy enough to make a short stop for our afternoon prayers there, and the time to explore the place a bit.


The my first impression of Ubudiah Mosque: a breathtakingly beautiful piece of architecture.



















SOME INTERESTING HISTORY OF THE MOSQUE FROM THE INTERNET:

  • The mosque was built by the Sultan in 1913 after he had recovered from a long and tormenting sickness.
  • Once the construction of the mosque was halted when two elephants belonging to the Sultan and Raja Chulan fought, ran amuck and damaged the marble tiles.
  • The World War was also another reason for the mosque to only be completed in 1917.
  • The mosque was influenced by Indo-Saracenic Mughal architecture, whatever that might mean.


















I found the praying hall was a bit small. That could lead to the conclusion of the low population of that particular area. Or perhaps, as it was located in the royal town of the state of Perak i.e. Kuala Kangsar, it might once only cater to people who were related to the royal family and the palace staff.
































I guessed I had walked and observed every nook and corner of the building, and explored the place inside out. However, I am looking forward to visiting this mosque again if I have the chance to come back to Kuala Kangsar again.

No comments:

Post a Comment