Friday, February 22, 2019

A BOAT RIDE TO DAMNOEN SADUAK FLOATING MARKET [PART ONE]


20th DECEMBER 2018 ~ The next spot in the itinerary on my last in Thailand (on the way from Hua Hin to Bangkok) was the floating market. There seems to be two types of floating market here: one, the traders are stationed and floated on their boats while the buyers stay on the dry land; two, both the sellers and the buyers are in the boats on the river doing business transactions.


I think the floating market that is the most popular among tourists near Bangkok is the Amphawa Floating Market. However, the market is only operational on weekends so I had to go to another one (I was there on Thursday morning) called Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. This place is near to Mae Klong Train Station. WARNING: it was VERY expensive to experience the boat ride at this market. I had to pay 1000 bahts for the 40-minute trip. I was not sure whether that would be per head or for the whole boat as I had the boat all to myself. I just wanted to do this and furthermore, I still had a lot of time to kill before getting to the airport to catch my flight.






During the early stage of the journey to the market, I saw the Thai's houses on high stilts on the river. Then only I understand better how the rivers are important like the veins in the human's body to these people. They move around from one place to another on boats but now the boats are used more to ferry tourists around I suppose. It is amazing how they are still able to live the way they used to many years ago.




Even before I approached the main market, there were people setting up shops at their houses. You would have to tell the boat operator to stop if you need to get something from the shop.













she works hard for the money

























This was a popular attraction as there were many boats on the river carrying tourists around.

T O   B E    C O N T I N U E D   I N   P A R T   2 

1 comment:

  1. On the opposite hand due to its size there are a lot of fun things to do and interesting places to see. There's a pragmatic reason, too. For more information on primary school trips read here.

    ReplyDelete